| Farm-Raised Catfish,
|RAW MATERIAL SOURCE
Farm-raised, grain-fed catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Raw material
shall possess characteristic flavor, odor, color, and texture for the species. All
pre-harvest drugs utilized during grow out of the product shall be FDA approved,
low regulatory priority aquaculture products, and used in accordance with proper
withdrawal times and other label conditions. Product shall not possess residual
drug/chemical levels above acceptable FDA levels. Product shall be free of
Farm-raised catfish, water, sodium tripolyphosphate.
A minimum of 90% by count of the whole fish in each case shall conform to the
specified size range +/- ½ oz.
1. Headless, skinless, and eviscerated catfish shall be processed to remove
all viscera, blood spots, and bruises.
2. All product shall have all fins attached. No more than 5% by weight of
fish is allowed to be missing fins or tails.
3. Each fillet shall be subjected to an IQF freeze, water glazed to prevent
freezer burn or dehydration, and packed.
NET DEGLAZED WEIGHT
The net deglazed weight shall be determined by 50 CFR 265.107(c), and in all
instances, meet or exceed the stated case weight.
Product is checked for defects as stated in 50 CFR 267.101-107.
1. Total Aerobic Plate Count < 200,000/g
2. Total Coliforms < 500/g MPN
3. E. coli < 10/g MPN
4. Staphylococcus aureus (coag +) < 9.1/g MPN
5. Salmonella Negative in all samples
PACKAGING AND LABELING REQUIREMENTS
1. Product shall be packed in a poly-lined Master case. Poly liner shall be
at least 1.25 mil thick.
2. Master case shall be a preprinted, brown, staple-free container with a minimum
bursting strength of 250#.
3. Case labels and printing shall conform to standards set forth by SouthFresh
4. Production date coding system shall consist of a six-digit code. The first
and fourth digits shall identify the month, and the second and third digits
shall represent the day. The fifth digit represents the last digit of the
year. The sixth digit represents the period number. The following are examples:
010132 - January 10, 2003; 2nd Period
018633 - June 18, 2003; 3rd Period
123134 - November 23, 2003; 4th Period
5. Production code date, and product identification label, shall appear on
all Master cases.
6. Product shall be maintained at or below 10°F during the distribution process.
7. Product shall pass through properly functioning metal detection equipment
K. SHELF LIFE
(0°F or less) 6 months